The “Palm Tree” sequence is a lovely, easy stretch for your upper body. The idea is to lift your ribs up and away from your hips, thus creating a little extra space for your breath and for your baby.
If you are suffering from heart-burn this may provide some relief and if you are working at a desk during the daytime this one is a pregnancy essential.
There’s no video to guide you here as it is pretty straight-forward and can be done throughout the day standing up or seated. During your third trimester this sequence feels great seated on a birthing ball.
The Palm Tree Sequence
- Place the palms of your hands together and interlace your fingers.
- Turn your palms away from you and press forward and up, bringing your hands above your head (if that feels awkward release the fingers and hold one wrist with the opposite hand).
- INHALE and press the palms upwards toward the ceiling, lifting your ribs up away from your hips.
- EXHALE and gently move the arms to one side. Remain in this side stretch for another full round of breath IN and OUT.
- INHALE bring your arms back to centre.
- EXHALE gently stretch to the other side. Remain in this side stretch for another full round of breath IN and OUT.
- INHALE bring you arms back to centre and release your fingers.
- Place the palms of your hands together, interlace your fingers and place the palms of your hands on the top of your head.
- INHALE and gently lift your breast bone and side ribs – making space for your baby!
- EXHALE and rotate your ribs gently to one side, leaving your hips facing forward. Remain in this open twist for another full round of breath IN and OUT.
- INHALE bring your breast bone back to centre.
- EXHALE gently rotate to the other side. Remain in this open twist for another full round of breath IN and OUT.
- INHALE bring your breast bone back to centre and release your arms.
CAUTION: Raising your arms above your head can cause dizziness. If this happens, don’t do these poses.
Do you have a favourite tree?
I’d love to see a picture – maybe you could hug it?
Send your images to me by email or tag me in your instagram story @lucymaresh #mothernurturenorthumberland.